February 16, 2011

Color Choices

A while back I took a one day course with a fantastic local painter called Dan Marsula. Dan is a super nice guy who works as an illustrator and graphic designer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newspaper and sells a lot of beautiful paintings on the side. One of which hangs in my home.

Beside his view of art, I have tried to adopt his working method and his palette as well. He uses Viridan, Sap Green, Phthalo Blue, Cobalt Blue, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Raw Umber, Ivory Black, Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Alizrin Crimson and Titanium White. The colors are placed in this order.


It didn’t take me long to start loving this palette of colors. I had never really used Viridan much but really could see many uses for it once I began.

Here is my first painting using Dan’s color palette.


I asked Dan how long he’s been using that selection of colors and his answer was “Forever.”

To me, learning about art and different artists’ methods is always enjoyable. Learning should never stop.  As for myself, as far as color goes, I have decided to keep on file the color palletes of John Stobart, David Leffel, as well as Marsula and augment those as I see fit depending on what I’m painting.

joe@joewinklerart.com

JoeWinklerArt.com