September 11, 2011

Back From a D.C. Holiday

Just returned from an art inspiring few days in Washington D.C. Had a couple super gallery visits to the National Gallery of Art and the National Portrait Gallery. In the next few posts I will be sharing my photos of my favorite paintings (yes photography is allowed in the galleries) and discussing why they are my favorites.

But for today, just going to show some photos I took in the midst of some real bad weather. It rained hard all but one day I was there so my outdoor photo options were limited to say the least. I felt my typical shots of the Lincoln Memorial needed some interest so here’s what I came up with:


I really wanted to walk around the tidal basin at sundown and shoot the Jefferson Memorial and other things, but I never got there, mostly because of the weather, and partially because I expended all my energy milling about the art museums from open until close.

In a totally UNretouched image, here is an example of just how much it rained and how heavy the cloud cover was:


That cast shadow on the clouds from the spotlight tells the tail. If you’ve never been there, believe me the capital building is huge but it isn’t real tall. Heavy cloud coverage.

Bats fly around the top of the dome too, which you can see better if you click the image.


One last photo note - I always chuckle to myself when I see folks using flash photography in the art museums. Using flash just destroys the image that is recorded more often than not, by putting a huge white glare right over a portion of the image. And if the painting being shot is behind glass, forget about seeing any image at all. Either bring a monopod or just turn up the ISO and hold the camera extra steady when shooting. I think people in general over estimate the amount of light needed in digital photography.

JoeWinklerArt.com