October 16, 2010

A Quick Look Back

I’m planning to break out the colored pencils for the first time in a long time for the sketchbook project thing. But first, here is an example of an early color pencil rendering I did back when I was just turning drinking age. I don’t think I’d even touched oils yet.

It’s always nice to keep some early stuff to look back on and gage ones artistic growth (even if it is at glacial speed). Most times I look at old work and cringe, but I’m actually not hating this one too much. This was an aggressive crop of a Tennis magazine action shot, which explains the contortrd expression on Boris Becker's face. Looks like I was too concerned with accuracy at the time to free up the pencil strokes. And a nice dark background would've really helped pop him off the page.


I’ve been wanting to do something in colored pencils recently and this Sketchbook Project thing might just be the excuse I was looking for. Probably won't be able to tear myself away from the oil paints however.

Stay tuned...