December 14, 2010

Color Palette - Still Life

I still enjoy painting landscapes but, doing them became tougher because I couldn’t control my subjects as much as I’d liked. When I tried to make up lighting that didn’t exist things wouldnt turn out right. So I found myself becoming more and more interested in still lifes. The rich, moody, classic kind that remind one of Baroque-era Europe. Also the kind I could set up myself and control the dramatic lighting of.

I am still very into those type of paintings, and what better master painter to study for that kind of painting than everybodys favorite painter, David Leffel. He uses these colors: Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Cadmium Red Light, Cobalt Blue, Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Umber, Ivory Black, and Titanium White. His palette is set up as shown in this next image.


Here's two still lifes I did using that Leffel palette.


I really enjoyed using that particular palette and will continue to use it on occasion.