June 23, 2011

Summer

Since we just celebrated the summer solstice a couple days ago, thought I'd feature my painting called "Summer" for today's post:


 She's 18 inches wide by 14 inches deep, oil on canvas.

In this piece I did something compositionally that many painters do, I threw the immediate foreground into shadow to bring the viewers eyes into the painting. I think there's an actual name for that technique, but I just call it "throwing the immediate foreground into shadow to bring the viewers eyes into the painting".

A lot of times this trick is used when the immediate foreground has nothing of interest in it. I've only employed that technique in landscape subjects so far, but this can work just as well with still life subjects too.

Another thing about this painting I thought worked well - I used a color base of warm yellow and then let some of that show through in the final painting layer. Mostly in the sky is where that happened. Here is a detail:


Anyway, Happy SUMMER!

JoeWinklerArt.com