September 5, 2011

Inspirational Holiday

Well, September came quick this year and it’s time for the blog to take a holiday. It’s going to be an inspirational one because I will be visiting Washington D.C. and going to the National Gallery of Art as well as the National Portrait Gallery.

                     National Gallery of Art interior


                      National Portrait Gallery interior

One of the great things about living where I live is that D.C. and the National Gallery of Art, is only a few hours drive away. One of the bad things about living where I live is that we only get a certain amount of good weather every year, so I admittedly am more prolific in my art during the Fall and Winter seasons than I am in the Spring or Summer. So this trip comes at a good time since it should stoke my painting fires really right for the months ahead.

Below are some of the great paintings in the collection of the National Gallery of Art.

                                "Girl with a Red Hat"  by Johannes Vermeer

                               "Street in Venice"  by John Singer Sargent

                                 "The Biglin Brothers Racing"  by Thomas Eakins

                                    “Ginevera de Benci” by Leonardo da Vinci

If you’ve ever been to the National Gallery of Art or the National Portrait Gallery, e-mail me and let me know which paintings were your favorites and why.

Finally, click here for a great YouTube video about Vermeer’s “Girl with a Red Hat”.

JoeWinklerArt.com