January 30, 2012

Step-by-Step Oil Painting Continued

Here are the next steps in the creation of my new oil painting.


My apologies for the crummy digital shots. Totally my fault. When I’m in the painting groove, it’s tough to stop and set up a proper digital shot.  The light was changing fast and I was rushing and hand holding the camera, which is why the colors are a bit different.


This hood ornament is back lit, so you can bet that the subject will be much darker in the following steps. At this point the biggest challenge will be to get that light to flood around the edges of the subject making those edges softer than the rest.

By the way, the answer to the question of, ‘what car does this hood ornament sit atop’, is a Rolls-Royce. The hood ornament from the previous post (below) comes from an old Ford Roadster.

I like to paint hood ornaments.

JoeWinklerArt.com