March 2, 2012

"The Artist" and Hollywood Art

I rarely go to see movies anymore, mostly because I end up not enjoying the few things I see. However in the past three months I did see two of the big movies that were up for Oscars recently, “The Descendants” with George Clooney, and “The Artist” with Jean Dujardin and John Goodman.

LOVED “The Artist”! So much so, that I’ll be seeing it again in a few days with some friends who are seeing it for the first time. How refreshing it was to actually see a film that is not only beautiful to look at, but that requires a viewer to have an imagination!

                                    See this movie. Then buy the soundtrack!

Too bad my favorite illustrator, J.C. Leyendecker isn’t alive today. I would love to have seen the movie poster he would have painted for “The Artist”. It was his era after all!

Growing up I saw many more movies than I do today, both in the theatre, and on video (yes video). Back then, before I got more serious about my artistic subject matter, what I saw in films and television would influence my art projects. I enjoyed renting the old movies of Robert Redford more than anything. Redford was cool. Ever see “Three Days of the Condor”? That’s what Um talkin’ bout!

So it is in the spirit of the good old movies that I’ll share one of my earlier paintings with you today.

                                               “Icon”, 18x24 oil on canvas.

I titled it “Icon” because at the time, I figured everyone would always know who Robert Redford is. Wonder how many younger pups today would have no clue.

Anyway, - Here’s to the movies!

JoeWinklerArt.com