May 14, 2013

A Painting Within a Painting

"Roadster" is my third in a series of still lifes with an automotive theme, and it was recently awarded the “viewers choice” prize in the USCLA annual exhibit here in Pittsburgh.

"Roadster" 18x24 inches, oil

I've been shooting reference images of classic cars for years and I initially was going to execute paintings of entire cars. At some point that idea morphed into what I thought would make a more interesting and powerful composition - zooming in on one elegant piece of the car and painting that one element.

The fun thing is, the undulating curves along with the reflective nature of these hood ornaments causes them to really distort their surroundings which allows me the freedom to execute an almost abstract miniature painting within the larger painting!

Boom! My first abstract painting!!