March 29, 2016

Swiss Guard Painting - Step 3

In keeping with my tradition of being real bad at shooting progress shots, here is step 3 - otherwise known as the finished image of my Swiss Guard mixed-media painting:


I did this finishing step in one day and was on a roll, so I could not stop to shoot more progress pics. The day went like this:

1. Deepen the darkest darks with charcoal. Spray it with workable fixatif.
2. Render the face with color pencils. Spray it with workable fixatif.
3. Further render face and others areas with acrylic paint, using a blow dryer between layers to speed up drying.
4. Use oil paint to do the blue background vignette.

Here is a close-up of the face:


In the group exhibit it debuted in recently, this "Swiss Guard" mixed media painting won an honorable mention award and also won the "peoples choice" award.

Various sizes of prints of this piece are available on my Fine Art America site.