August 4, 2010

Quick Sketch Tip

Here is another quick little sketch I did in my "Sketchbook Project 2011" sketchbook the other day at lunch.  This is from another reference photo I shot  while wondering around downtown.  The way to do these up really right, I think, is to get the head established first, sizewise, then using the head as a guide, measure how many "heads" tall the entire figure is.  From then on, it doesn't really matter if the positioning of each element is just right.  It's just a 5 minute sketch after all.  But if the entire figure is proportionate to the head, your drawing will look decent.  This method has been taught for a long time and it works.

One (of the many) books I have had for years that is useful in drawing figures is “How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way”.  I bought it at least 25 years ago and I still see it on the book store shelves today.

That's all for today!