July 9, 2012

Tennis As Art - Part 2

As in years past, I attended and photographed the local USTA clay court futures event I told you about two posts ago. It was about 100 degrees that day as the record high temperatures continued. These two Australian guys (who I found out are doubles partners) were locked in sweat-filled combat that lasted from 11:00 AM to almost 3:00 PM, the hottest part of the day.

Here’s a few fun photos and one montage I designed from my collection of this years batch of shots.


I’m trying to be more aware of the impact of a nice tightly cropped composition while shooting away.

Did I mention it was really hot?



To see more of my tennis photography click here.

Lastly, in the previous post I shared one of my tennis inspired paintings from about 10 years ago. Well, here is one that goes back a bit farther. I didn’t shoot the reference for this. It was done in my student days and never sold, so cancel that call to your lawyer.


The oil paint was actually very thin as I applied it. What created the texture was the gesso underneath, that I messed with before it was completely dry.

JoeWinklerArt.com