May 28, 2014

Christmas in Spring?

Since 2009 I have been sending out greeting cards at the holidays that feature one of my festive holiday-themed paintings. Recently I began working on the painting that will be on this year’s version. Here is the initial block-in on that:


Originally I was going to do this up in the style of my favorite American Illustrator, J.C. Leyendecker. I decided against that however since I have been relatively successful working to develop my own painting style - nearly all of my other holiday original pieces have sold!

One thing I did keep to however in my design of this piece is the direct use of one Leyendecker’s beautiful scroll banners. I do love decorative banners - cannot paint them like Leyendecker, but I love them!

This is the last you will see of this piece until December at which time I will post the finished painting to my Facebook page. So please friend me so I can share it with you!